Friday, May 05, 2006

Inspiration


Inspiration. Literal and figurative, it came to me last evening. I had been asked; "Why are you doing this?" in reference to the time and effort spent in aiding Wendy Killoran's "Round the Rock" Newfoundland circumnav.
Up until last night, I had no real answer to that, other than; "Because it's fun." But watching Wendy and her travel companion Freya Hoffmeister excitedly packing and re-packing their exped gear in my home hallway, I began to experience, by osmosis I guess, a heightened sense of the import of this great undertaking, this grand derangement. Whether it was Wendy's cheerful optimism, Freya's stolid capability, or the near perfect szyzygy of their newly forged friendship I don't know, but their combined energy and enthusiasm could power a small city I'm sure.
Inspiration.

Suddenly all the glaring deficiencies in my own gear and paddling methodology tumbled to the fore in my mind, but was quickly overcome by the prevailing joie de vivre and can-do air surrounding Wendy and Freya.
You might say it was infectious.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Keller said...

Glen, I am also returning to the kayak scene. Greenland style paddling and rolling has reinvigorated my interest in being on the water.

I understand completely what you are saying about being around these infectious paddlers. It seems the enthusiasm and energy of people like these two, are driving the sport right now. She is supposed to come to Michigan this summer. I can't wait to meet her. Of course, my wife is wondering why I am so excited... :)!

11:01 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again Glenn!
I've been musing about inspirations and enthusiasms for many years now...I agree with you greatly that being around others who have a real fire in the belly is an experience of its own kind!
There are a very few whose passions for paddling never seem to wane...for the rest of us mortals...we have to create it again and again.....
DSD
"Summit-Stones" by DSD
at Blogger.Com

6:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home